• Publication

Child Tax Credit


Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, many taxpayers’ withholding went down in 2018, giving them more money in their paychecks. Some taxpayers may receive a smaller refund or even owe an unexpected tax bill when they file their 2018 tax return next year.

Take these actions:

Do a paycheck checkup to help decide if you need to adjust your withholding or make estimated or additional tax payments now.Submit a new Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate to your employer to change withholding.Make estimated or additional tax payments if the withholding from your salary, pension or other income doesn’t cover the 2018 income tax that you’ll owe for the year. Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals also has a worksheet to help you figure your estimated payments.

Get ready for your refund

The new tax law may affect the refund you expect. Review Publication 5307, Tax Reform Basics for Individuals and Familiesfor more information.

If you claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February.

Renew your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

If you use an ITIN to file, make sure it hasn’t expired. Visit for more information.

Get ready to file

The 2018 Form 1040 is a redesigned form and replaces Forms 1040A and 1040EZ.

If you file electronically, you will need your 2017 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) to sign your return. If you’re using the same tax software you used last year, you will not need to enter your prior year information to electronically sign your 2018 tax return.

Take these actions:

Use Free FileLearn how to get your AGI, verify your identity and electronically sign your e-file return.Get your transcript.Protect yourself from identify theft.

Get help

Tax Reform Learn about how the new law may affect your filing requirements.

IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) If you earn $55,000 or less you may qualify for free tax help.

Taxpayer Assistance Centers Visit us for a face-to-face help or call 844-545-5640 to make an appointment.

IRS Services Guide A listing of IRS services.

Let us help you Additional resources where you can get answers for various tax questions.


© 2019 by Refund Republic. All Rights Reserved